Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Weight Loss Journey

My Weight Loss Journey

I have struggled with my weight since I left college. In college I was active, walked everywhere and had, what seemed like, the extra hours in a day that I desperately need now.

Once I left college I started my career in sitting at a computer. LOL Obviously it’s not my job title, but for the purposes of this blog… it’s the most notable thing. I have a very sedentary job. Once I obtained this wonderful career of sitting at a computer for an ENTIRE day, the last thing I wanted to do, was race home to make dinner. So, I started eating out… A LOT. I’m afraid to say, the pounds just kept adding on, and this time last year, I found myself morbidly obese. It was a scary wake up call. Over the past few years, I’ve tried several diets and at one point worked with a personal trainer. I would go through periods of working out like a maniac! The one time I did really start to lose, was when I was working out 3 hours a day and not eating much. I lost about 30 lbs in a three month period, but I quickly burned myself out. I was exhausted.

I was so tired of being me physically, and tired of little to no results. So about this time last year, I went to see a Bariatric Surgeon. I was embarrassed that I qualified for the surgery. I was even more embarrassed that I was so overweight that the stingy insurance company was going to cover it! GREATFUL, but embarrassed. I went thru months of pre-op work, meeting with dietitians, psychologists, and the pre-op diet. I did lose about 10 lbs with the pre-op diet, but I was anxiously awaiting my surgery date.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery last summer. I have lost 70 lbs and am currently Class I obese (I was Class III)! As part of my post-op program, I signed up to do a half marathon this fall. I’ve never been a runner, so I opted to walk it. I did this to make sure I would stay on an exercise routine, and not risk losing a bunch of muscle. I completed my walk and I’m happy to say I am about 10 lbs from being overweight! Never thought I’d be excited to be overweight. My next step is to concentrate on strength training, and maybe add in some running. I still need to lose about 40 lbs all together to be at a healthy BMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment