Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jesus Saves

My personal testimony....

I grew up in a Christian home. My dad was active duty in the military so we attended services at the Protestant Chapel. I accepted Jesus as my savoir at the tender age of four with my Sunday school teacher, Miss Shirley. Through all our moves we were active at the chapel and I became active in the youth group in jr. high. I LOVED youth group! In fact when I got in trouble, that was the thing that was taken away.

When I got to college I met and fell in love with a boy. Later on, he would (of course) break my heart. I had moved to a different state to be closer to him, and so there I was at a new school with virtually no friends. The friends I did have were from classes and were not there to help me keep on course. I started going out to clubs and drinking. I was frustrated that I had been so hurt by a Christian. I realized later that, but dating Christian guys, I was putting them on pedestals because they were Christians. In the end... I realized they were still boys and they were going to still be mean. But as, DC Talk sings.. I had to learn the hard way. I rode the fence on my Christianity for about 9 months. Went to church, participated in campus crusades, and went out to the club several times a week. I was the very essence of a luke warm Christian.
AND THEN... :)

I went to a Skillet concert. During that concert, I broke down and cried. I cried and cried. I was so embarrassed and ashamed of the way I had been living. I'll be forever thankful that my heart was open and willing to hear God at that concert. He STILL loved me. I was the prodigal son, returning. I was on fire for God, and over the next two years I grew closer to Him. I was in the Word constantly, and even lead a very successful and fulfilling bible study.

Now that I'm happily married to a wonderful Christian man, I do sometimes miss being back at that place. Single and able to really feel like I could give God my all. Of course I was in college, so I also didn't have all the pressures of the day to day grind that I have now. But I'm always hopeful that I can manage my schedule better and find more time for God. Every once in a while I still slip into the "world", but thankful, God pulls on my heartstrings and brings me back. HE is my center!


THAT is my Joyful Witness.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I look forward to being your partner in this study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that a ROCK band spoke to your heart!! :) Skillet has some powerful songs!
    Love hearing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely share! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story Sarah. So glad to have you as part of the OBS community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm dropping in from the BlogHop. I love your testimony, the Lord ended up calling me back to Himself through music too. Specifically Toby Mac's song Irene. (Big Skillet fan too myself though). Looking forward to this bible study with you and the rest of the community who is joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate - but it took me way more than 9 months! Hallelujah for His redemption! Looking forward to studying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading your God-story. Thanks for sharing and glad you are part of Made to Crave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your honesty! It is encouraging to read. I found your last paragraph moving and how I feel at times. Thank you for being courageous enough to put it into words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see so many ladies willing to be real. Thank you for that. It's so easy to be something we're not when it's on the internet rather than face-to-face. ;)

    http://yearninginmyheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story - your story and God's. Sounds like He is blessing you with a wonderful husband. I think we have the break ups so we appreciate the keeper. Looking forward to studying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great testimony! God is our Redeemer! On a side note, I have every DC Talk and Toby Mac album out there! Love some old school!

    ReplyDelete